ESP32 set at Promiscuous Mode,how to handle randomize MAC address

nzh912

ESP32 set at Promiscuous Mode,how to handle randomize MAC address

Postby nzh912 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:13 am

i wish to use wifi sniffering method to roughly locate how many person are nearby in an area.
I was playing around esp wifi promiscuous mode to sniff nearby wifi packet data and i noticed that when i turned on my iPhone wifi and connected to AP. I can sniff my iPhone's wifi mac address for no issue.
But then when disconnected my iPhone with the AP (not going to turn off wifi on my iPhone) , i noticed that my iPhone is broadcasting randomized mac address. And this mac address value are not constant. Because of this randomized mac address value are not constant, it is hard for me to make sure the probing and data finding is accurate.
Can anyone give me suggestion on how to handle these randomize mac address?

Beside this question, is there any method in esp wifi promiscious mode, i can get the probed device BSSID from the wifi packet data?

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32 set at Promiscuous Mode,how to handle randomize MAC address

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:22 am

This is by design, your iPhone randomizes it's MAC specifically to make probing and finding data (for others) harder. There's not really a way around it.

nzh912

Re: ESP32 set at Promiscuous Mode,how to handle randomize MAC address

Postby nzh912 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:47 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:22 am
This is by design, your iPhone randomizes it's MAC specifically to make probing and finding data (for others) harder. There's not really a way around it.
is there any difference between Promiscuous Mode on esp32 with the Monitor mode? Does ESP32 support monitor mode?