Disable optimization (optimize for JTAG debugging)

xrCyhxcPN

Disable optimization (optimize for JTAG debugging)

Postby xrCyhxcPN » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi all,

I would like to disable any optimization of the C code. I am using the Eclipse IDE, having the CFLAGS env variable set to optimize for gdb.
It this the right approach? When debugging via JTAG, I still can see cases when I hover over a varaiable, it says "Optimized Out".

Thanks and best regards
Patrick
Attachments
eclipse-disableOptimization.png
eclipse-disableOptimization.png (59.64 KiB) Viewed 8696 times

k.ifantidis

Re: Disable optimization (optimize for JTAG debugging)

Postby k.ifantidis » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:56 am

Hello I'm looking for the same stuff here. How am i supposed to disable the compiler optimization ? I've checked sdkconfig file and it seems that there are only 2 options as mentions in the "readthedocs" website. -Og (debug) and -Os (release).

The reason why I want to disable the optimization is because when I'm debugging my code some of my variable's values are characterized as "<optimized out>" and I can't see the vale of this variable. I do not know all stuff about a compiler but with some research in the web I've found out that I should turn off compiler's optimization.
Attachments
optimized_out_variables.jpg
optimized_out_variables.jpg (10.89 KiB) Viewed 8275 times

PaulVdBergh

Postby PaulVdBergh » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:54 am

My guess is the compiler put these variables in registers, so they are optimized away. Try to make them volatile ?

Paul.

k.ifantidis

Postby k.ifantidis » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Dear Paul, thank you for your reply.
Firstly I would like to describe my situation. I'm inside a module's function which is started as a Task from main.
I've used my breakpoint right in the begging of the task and I've also set-up the expressions that I want to watch (test var).
Case 1. Variable declared inside func(local var) the compiler optimizes the value of the variable and I can not see it's contents.
Case 2. Variable declared volatile inside func( volatile uint8_t test = 0;) -> variable's value becomes unavailiable.(attached img)
Case 3. Declare the variable global (tested both volatile and non-volatile declaration)-> It works like a charm.

What am I supposed to do ?! I want to avoid declaring my variables as global :-/ It was quite hard for me to get used to using local variables that I don't want to go back to using globals.

Regards, Kostas.
Attachments
optimized_out_variables02.jpg
optimized_out_variables02.jpg (9.48 KiB) Viewed 8261 times

PaulVdBergh

Postby PaulVdBergh » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi Kostas,

If it's only to observe the value of some variables, why not use any kind of the printf or LOGx() functions? It's only for debugging, isn't it? Keep in mind that making a varaible global or static whitin a function makes the function non-reenrtant.

Paul

k.ifantidis

Postby k.ifantidis » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:38 am

Thank you for your reply. I'll keep this in mind !!

I've used printf in order to read the optimized variable.

Best regards, Kostas.