Disable ESC sequences in VSCode Output Window

SparkyNZ

Disable ESC sequences in VSCode Output Window

Postby SparkyNZ » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:43 pm

How can I disable Esc character sequences in the VSCode OUTPUT window? I'm guessing these are being generated by whatever compiler IDF is using.

Alternatively, is there a recommended extension for VSCode that will handle these Esc character sequences?

SparkyNZ

Re: Disable ESC sequences in VSCode Output Window

Postby SparkyNZ » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:58 pm

Thanks to @MicroContrroller, I have a solution for this.

If I build using the VSCode extenstion (using the cylinder icon at the bottom of VSCode), it uses the Terminal window instead. All escape characters are gone and the output is colorized instead. If I use the gear icon or click on Build.. that's when I get the horrible mess.

micron

Postby micron » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:36 am

To get rid of the escape characters, as you said, you could use a color enabled terminal.

If you can't use a color enabled terminal, then, I believe the setting CONFIG_LOG_COLORS in sdkconfig should not be set.

At least, that got rid of them for me.
Last edited by micron on Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

SparkyNZ

Postby SparkyNZ » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:48 am

micron wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:36 am
To get rid of the escape characters, as you said, you could use a color enabled terminal.

If you can't use a color enabled terminal, then, I believe the setting CONFIG_LOG_COLORS in sdkconfig should not be set.

At least, that god rid of them for me.
Thanks for that - I'm still see-sawing between using the VSCode extension and the command line.. so I'll make a note of that just in case :-)