Problems with Power supply via Power Bank and USBA vs. USB C

erisch24

Problems with Power supply via Power Bank and USBA vs. USB C

Postby erisch24 » Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:02 pm

Hi, if I power a ESP8266 via 5V Pin on the controller directly, using a plug and a cable via powerbank I face the following problem:
When I Use the configuration with USB A connection of the power bank, then the ESP including external components like display, temperature measuring LED or resistors etc works just fine....
When I use the same powerbank and use the USB-C port, then everything remains dark. No working ESP ;-(

I tried 3 different external modells of power banks... Same result. Deisplay an ESP don't get supplied via the USB C plug... if I use the USB A connection the it works just fine.

The ESP has of course a soldered USB-C plug on board... but I dont want to use this in my project. I need a more or less water proof external plug which then connects to the 5V Pin on the board.

Pls help and thx
Screenshot 2024-09-11 175424.png
USB Adapter
Screenshot 2024-09-11 175424.png (74.96 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

ESP_Sprite

Re: Problems with Power supply via Power Bank and USBA vs. USB C

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:44 am

USB-C needs two 5.1 resistors on the CC pins for it to supply power. It's likely your USB-C adapter thingy does not have those. That means an USB-C to USB-A cable will work (as USB-A does not require those resistors) but USB-C to USB-C will not.

erisch24

Postby erisch24 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:58 am

ok, thx for the reply... I expect my little box with the ESP8266 in the Box and USB C plug to be used and powered by people with a power bank with USB C port only... if you write "two 5.1" resistors... can I use 2 5.1kOhm resistors as pull down and put it in the box.... I know it sound s a bit strange, but if you could give me advise how I could power the ESP8266 in the box with the USB C plug and the external power bank via USB C plug i would very much appreciate this... I'm total noob in electronics.... so any reply as detailed as possible pls ;-)

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:22 pm

That USB-C power plug just is not going to work. You need one which is properly USB-C compliant (=has those 5.1K resistors internally).