BOX-3 from AliExpress

exquisitus

BOX-3 from AliExpress

Postby exquisitus » Wed May 08, 2024 9:02 am

Hello
I needed a platform for prototyping an audio product. Saw the "official" store on AliExpress and thought to myself "bingo". Unfortunately the hardware I received has no audio input, so it's totally useless. it was kinda unexpected, the packaging was intact, the contents looked new... But NO audio input. To investigate further I put the official "usb-headset" on it and it confirmed my fears, no audio input again, windows tells me the box as a microphone gets exactly 0% of the input, in other words it does NOT work as expected as audio input device in Windows either. If I try to initializing your audio component myself I get "Fail to write register" with source es7243e, whatever that might mean, but it looks bad, doesn't it.

I thought I'd get some understanding from the "official" store on AliExpress, but that wasn't the case. It was a bizarre exchange, leads me to believe the store might not be too "official". Either that or Espressif does not value its clients particularly highly, so to speak.

Am I wrong to expect a working piece of hardware from Espressif in exchange of my money? What are my options? I would like to see if Espressif cares...

ESP_Rachel

Re: BOX-3 from AliExpress

Postby ESP_Rachel » Wed May 08, 2024 1:00 pm

We are sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the hardware you received from the "official" store on AliExpress. It's definitely disappointing when a product doesn't meet expectations, especially when purchased from a source that was expected to be reliable. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you.
To troubleshoot the microphone hardware issue, please flash the following factory test firmware (Sorry that testing firmware language is in Chinese only). Normally, each device undergoes rigorous factory testing before leaving the factory, but in order to facilitate troubleshooting, please use this firmware to conduct additional testing. Below is the test guide:
Testing Guide.png
Testing Guide.png (885.57 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
1. Enter the first test mode, which tests the main unit.
2. Locate the specified page and click on it. Then, verbally say something to test the microphone.
3. Pay attention to the functionality of the left and right microphones. Do they both appear to be functioning properly?

Should the microphone fail to function correctly, please reach out to us through the AliExpress platform's backend to arrange for an exchange. Thank you.
Attachments
esp32_s3_box_3_factory_test_firmware.bin.zip
(643.62 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

ESP_Rachel

Postby ESP_Rachel » Mon May 20, 2024 8:01 am

Hi, We've noticed that the recent batch of microphone issues is caused by the screen protector. Please remove the screen protector when using the microphone function. If the mic issue persists, please return the product to us. Thank you!

hughhalf

Postby hughhalf » Sun May 26, 2024 11:45 pm

Hi,
Thank you for posting the information about checking the microphone.

I ran the test diagnostic and unfortunately my Box-3 microphones appear to be faulty. I made sure to remove the screen protector.

I purchased my Kit from Mouser - should I return it to them or direct to Espressif ?

Thanks in advance!

Hugh

ESP_Rachel

Postby ESP_Rachel » Mon May 27, 2024 3:35 am

hughhalf wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 11:45 pm
Hi,
Thank you for posting the information about checking the microphone.

I ran the test diagnostic and unfortunately my Box-3 microphones appear to be faulty. I made sure to remove the screen protector.

I purchased my Kit from Mouser - should I return it to them or direct to Espressif ?

Thanks in advance!

Hugh
We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Could you please let us know if you have disassembled the device? Please send your Mouser order number and a description of the issue to caoyan@espressif.com via email. We will arrange for someone to assist you with the exchange.

hughhalf

Postby hughhalf » Mon May 27, 2024 7:42 am

Thank you for replying so quickly - I haven't disassembled the device only removed the screen protector.

If there is a simple fix to try I'm happy to give it a go!

I'll reach out by email as you requested though.

Thanks again

Regards,
Hugh

magneemi

Postby magneemi » Fri May 31, 2024 3:23 pm

Hi, Im also having issues with the microphone with my new esp32-s3-box3. :cry:

I've ran the test firmware as described and my microphone seems to be faulty as well. The screen protector is removed as well.

I've purchased the kit from the official espressif store on aliexpress. should I make a return and refund case with them or shoud I return it directly to Espressif?

magneemi

Postby magneemi » Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:21 pm

Nevermind, the microphone works, it was I that misunderstood how the testfirmware worked. :oops:

all good now! :D