Urgent!! new version 1.3 DOES NOT WORK AT ALL !!!! after autoupdate

RalphD

Urgent!! new version 1.3 DOES NOT WORK AT ALL !!!! after autoupdate

Postby RalphD » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:29 am

I was cleaning up a project I was working on the past days when a message popped in saying that ESP_IDF extension has been updated to version 1.3. OK surprise...
So far all worked fine since days. The project task was at its end.
But then the problems started. I added a new source file to the CMakeLists.txt in the source folder and saving it, a message popped up "Unable to determine what CMake generator to use....."
I was surprised, tried immediately to compile and it compiled everything fine.
However, after a full clean the project linking failed with a missing reference to a function in the new source file.
It came out that this new file did not get included in the compile task. Because of this cmake generator missing.

Compiling worked still fine just the new source file was not included in the build. It looks to me that cmake can not invoke either Ninja or Python script to generate the CMakeLists file in the build directory.

Of course I tried with a restart of VScode but then the IDF did not come back to live AT ALL. The toolbar was completely undefined. Not even comport selection full clean, nothing was there.

This is a terrible situation for our project with a tied deadline this week !!!

Hence I uninstalled VScode and cleaned out all extension. Reinstalled the ESP-IDF extension in VScode But now when I run the ESP-IDF: Setup -> Use existing installed IDF the process hangs with this message:

Code: Select all

C:\.espressif\python_env\idf4.3_py3.8_env\Scripts\python.exe: Error while finding module specification for 'pip' (AttributeError: module '__main__' has no attribute '__file__')
Command failed: "C:/.espressif/python_env/idf4.3_py3.8_env/Scripts/python.exe" -m pip install --upgrade --no-warn-script-location  -r "c:\Users\ralph\.vscode\extensions\espressif.esp-idf-extension-1.3.0\requirements.txt"
C:\.espressif\python_env\idf4.3_py3.8_env\Scripts\python.exe: Error while finding module specification for 'pip' (AttributeError: module '__main__' has no attribute '__file__')

HELP PLEASE !

this is the output from the Doctor command and it looks like I need a complete new install of the IDF. I had all path variables defined before and it worked fine UNTIL THE UPDATE TO 1.3.0. Unfortunate I did not go back to the former version at that point

---------------------------------------------- ESP-IDF Extension for Visual Studio Code report ---------------------------------------------
OS win32 x64 10.0.19042 
System environment variable IDF_PYTHON_ENV_PATH 
 undefined 
System environment variable PATH 
 C:\Program Files\Firefox Developer Edition;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows\System32;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Program Files\nodejs;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Program Files\nodejs;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Program Files\nodejs;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\bin;C:\Program Files\JetBrains\PhpStorm 2020.2.3\bin;;C:\Users\ralph\.dotnet\tools;C:\wamp64\bin\php\php7.4.9;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\Composer\vendor\bin; 
System environment variable PYTHON 
 undefined 
Visual Studio Code version 1.63.2 
Visual Studio Code language en 
Visual Studio Code shell C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe 
ESP-IDF Extension version 1.3.0 
---------------------------------------------------- Extension configuration settings ------------------------------------------------------
ESP-ADF Path (idf.espAdfPath) ${env:ADF_PATH}
ESP-IDF Path (idf.espIdfPath) ${env:IDF_PATH}
ESP-MDF Path (idf.espMdfPath) ${env:MDF_PATH}
Custom extra paths (idf.customExtraPaths) 
Custom extra vars (idf.customExtraVars) 
Virtual env Python Path (idf.pythonBinPath) python
Serial port (idf.port) COM18
OpenOCD Configs (idf.openOcdConfigs) interface/ftdi/esp32_devkitj_v1.cfg,board/esp32-wrover.cfg
ESP-IDF Tools Path (idf.toolsPath) ${env:IDF_TOOLS_PATH}
Git Path (idf.gitPath) /usr/bin/git
-------------------------------------------------------- Configurations access -------------------------------------------------------------
Access to ESP-ADF Path (idf.espAdfPath) false
Access to ESP-IDF Path (idf.espIdfPath) false
Access to ESP-MDF Path (idf.espMdfPath) false
Access to ESP-IDF Custom extra paths
Access to Virtual env Python Path (idf.pythonBinPath) false
Access to CMake in environment PATH undefined
Access to Ninja in environment PATH undefined
Access to ESP-IDF Tools Path (idf.toolsPath) false
----------------------------------------------------------- Executables Versions -----------------------------------------------------------
Git version undefined
ESP-IDF version undefined
Python version undefined
Python's pip version undefined
-------------------------------------------------- Python packages in idf.pythonBinPath ----------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------- Check ESP-IDF python requirements.txt -------------------------------------------------
Check ESP-IDF Python packages undefined
---------------------------------------------------- Check extension requirements.txt ------------------------------------------------------
Check Extension Python packages undefined
---------------------------------------------------- Check ESP-IDF debug adapter requirements.txt ------------------------------------------
Check Debug AdapterPython packages undefined
----------------------------------------------------------- Latest error -----------------------------------------------------------------
Latest error at Command failed: "/usr/bin/git" --version
The system cannot find the path specified.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will try now with a fresh IDF install. Hopefully somebody can reach out with an idea what went wrong with the update.

Right now I get bunch of error e.g. when I try to select the com port I get "Something went wrong to get the serial port list"

This is terrible, we need a solution NOW

Thanks
Ralph

RalphD

Re: Urgent!! new version 1.3 DOES NOT WORK AT ALL !!!! after autoupdate

Postby RalphD » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:26 am

so I have installed the ESP-IDF tool chain from scratch. shortly after the install, my project compiled fine

HOWEVER after restarting VScode, VScode does not come back to live. it hangs with this window:

well I don't know how to insert an image here

But VScode uses 15% of the CPU resource. Something loops infinitive in VScode.

Ah, sorry Win10pro up to date.

Please I need a solution asap

RalphD

Postby RalphD » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:47 am

so, it seems that there is an incompatibility with Tabnine at first start after installing the extension

deselecting Tabnine let VScode come to life a first time, however, after a third restart of VScode I get this on opening a ESP_IDF project folder:

[variant] Loaded new set of variants
[kit] Successfully loaded 5 kits from C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Local\CMakeTools\cmake-tools-kits.json
[proc] Executing command: C:\._espressif\tools\cmake\3.16.4\bin\cmake.EXE -Hc:/Users/ralph/vscode/server -Bc:/Users/ralph/vscode/server/build -G Ninja
[main] Configuring folder: server 
[proc] Executing command: C:\._espressif\tools\cmake\3.16.4\bin\cmake.EXE --no-warn-unused-cli -DCMAKE_EXPORT_COMPILE_COMMANDS:BOOL=TRUE -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=Debug -Hc:/Users/ralph/vscode/server -Bc:/Users/ralph/vscode/server/build -G Ninja
[cmake] Not searching for unused variables given on the command line.
[cmake] -- ccache will be used for faster recompilation
[cmake] -- Building ESP-IDF components for target esp32s2
[cmake] -- Project sdkconfig file C:/Users/ralph/vscode/server/sdkconfig
[cmake] Python was not found; run without arguments to install from the Microsoft Store, or disable this shortcut from Settings > Manage App Execution Aliases.
[cmake] Python was not found; run without arguments to install from the Microsoft Store, or disable this shortcut from Settings > Manage App Execution Aliases.
[cmake] CMake Error at C:/esp-idf/tools/cmake/kconfig.cmake:228 (message):
[cmake]   Failed to run confgen.py
[cmake]   (python;C:/esp-idf/tools/kconfig_new/confgen.py;--kconfig;C:/esp-idf/Kconfig;--sdkconfig-rename;C:/esp-idf/sdkconfig.rename;--config;C:/Users/ralph/vscode/server/sdkconfig;--env-file;C:/Users/ralph/vscode/server/build/config.env).
[cmake]   Error 9009
[cmake] Call Stack (most recent call first):
[cmake]   C:/esp-idf/tools/cmake/build.cmake:457 (__kconfig_generate_config)
[cmake]   C:/esp-idf/tools/cmake/project.cmake:399 (idf_build_process)
[cmake]   CMakeLists.txt:10 (project)
[cmake] 
[cmake] 
[cmake] -- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
[cmake] See also "C:/Users/ralph/vscode/server/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
Remember that the project still compiles fine.

What also is not working is flashing via JTag and obviously debugging.

ESP_bignacio

Postby ESP_bignacio » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:02 am

Could you update idf.gitPath to the git executable in your C:\\._espressif\\tools\\idf-git\\2.30.1\\cmd\\git.exe and idf.pythonBinPath to the correct path. This should be picked by the extension setup, but maybe your project has a .vscode/settings.json overriding user level settings ?

I don't understand how you settings change from one version to another. If the settings were already valid, you should been able to use the extension as usual.

RalphD

Postby RalphD » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:13 pm

still not working, I found and fixed path issues deriving from not excluding the workspace json files on github so I got the c_cpp_properties.json overwritten at checkout with wrong path.

However, now flashing does not work at all.
The OpenOCD server start up find the device and then not any progress, however, some process keeps active forever
Even when I stop the OCD server and try flashing again I get the message "Wait for ESP-IDF Build or Flash to finish"

Open On-Chip Debugger  v0.10.0-esp32-20211111 (2021-11-10-21:40)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
	http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
debug_level: 2

adapter speed: 20000 kHz

Info : Listening on port 6666 for tcl connections
Info : Listening on port 4444 for telnet connections
Info : ftdi: if you experience problems at higher adapter clocks, try the command "ftdi_tdo_sample_edge falling"
Info : clock speed 20000 kHz
Info : JTAG tap: esp32s2.cpu tap/device found: 0x120034e5 (mfg: 0x272 (Tensilica), part: 0x2003, ver: 0x1)
Info : esp32s2: Debug controller was reset.
Info : esp32s2: Core was reset.
Info : Listening on port 3333 for gdb connections
Info : accepting 'tcl' connection on tcp/6666
Info : dropped 'tcl' connection

the flashing process remains forever
remember that the project worked fine until update to version 1.3.0 I have nothing changed on the board or USB connection

RalphD

Postby RalphD » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:14 pm

this is the output from the doctor command

---------------------------------------------- ESP-IDF Extension for Visual Studio Code report ---------------------------------------------
OS win32 x64 10.0.19042 
 C:\.espressif2\python_env\idf4.3_py3.8_env\Scripts 
 C:\Windows\system32;%Path%;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Program Files\nodejs;C:\.espressif2\tools\cmake\3.16.4\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\ninja\1.10.2;C:\.espressif2\python_env\idf4.3_py3.8_env\Scripts;C:\.espressif2\tools;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files\JetBrains\PhpStorm 2020.2.3\bin;;C:\Users\ralph\.dotnet\tools;C:\wamp64\bin\php\php7.4.9;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\Composer\vendor\bin;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\bin; 
 undefined 
Visual Studio Code shell C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe 
ESP-IDF Extension version 1.3.0 
---------------------------------------------------- Extension configuration settings ------------------------------------------------------
ESP-IDF Path (idf.espIdfPath) C:\Users\ralph\esp\esp-idf
Custom extra paths (idf.customExtraPaths) C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32-elf\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32s2-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32s2-elf\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\riscv32-esp-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\riscv32-esp-elf\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\esp32ulp-elf\2.28.51-esp-20191205\esp32ulp-elf-binutils\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\esp32s2ulp-elf\2.28.51-esp-20191205\esp32s2ulp-elf-binutils\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\cmake\3.16.4\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\openocd-esp32\v0.10.0-esp32-20211111\openocd-esp32\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\ninja\1.10.2;C:\.espressif2\tools\idf-exe\1.0.1;C:\.espressif2\tools\ccache\3.7;C:\.espressif2\tools\dfu-util\0.9\dfu-util-0.9-win64
Custom extra vars (idf.customExtraVars) {"OPENOCD_SCRIPTS":"C:\\.espressif2\\tools\\openocd-esp32\\v0.10.0-esp32-20211111/openocd-esp32/share/openocd/scripts","IDF_CCACHE_ENABLE":"1"}
Virtual env Python Path (idf.pythonBinPath) C:\.espressif2\python_env\idf4.3_py3.8_env\Scripts\python.exe
OpenOCD Configs (idf.openOcdConfigs) interface/ftdi/esp32_devkitj_v1.cfg,target/esp32s2.cfg
ESP-IDF Tools Path (idf.toolsPath) C:\.espressif2
Git Path (idf.gitPath) C:\.espressif2\tools\idf-git\2.30.1\cmd\git.exe
-------------------------------------------------------- Configurations access -------------------------------------------------------------
Access to ESP-IDF Path (idf.espIdfPath) true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32-elf\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32s2-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32s2-elf\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\riscv32-esp-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\riscv32-esp-elf\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\esp32ulp-elf\2.28.51-esp-20191205\esp32ulp-elf-binutils\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\esp32s2ulp-elf\2.28.51-esp-20191205\esp32s2ulp-elf-binutils\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\cmake\3.16.4\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\openocd-esp32\v0.10.0-esp32-20211111\openocd-esp32\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\ninja\1.10.2: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\idf-exe\1.0.1: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\ccache\3.7: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\dfu-util\0.9\dfu-util-0.9-win64: true
Access to Virtual env Python Path (idf.pythonBinPath) true
Access to ESP-IDF Tools Path (idf.toolsPath) true
----------------------------------------------------------- Executables Versions -----------------------------------------------------------
Git version 2.30.1.windows.1
ESP-IDF version 4.3.2
Python version 3.8.7
Python's pip version 20.3.3
-------------------------------------------------- Python packages in idf.pythonBinPath ----------------------------------------------------
bitstring version: 3.1.9
Brotli version: 1.0.9
certifi version: 2021.10.8
cffi version: 1.15.0
charset-normalizer version: 2.0.10
click version: 8.0.3
colorama version: 0.4.4
construct version: 2.10.54
contextlib2 version: 21.6.0
cryptography version: 3.4.8
ecdsa version: 0.17.0
esp-windows-curses version: 0.1
Flask version: 0.12.5
Flask-Compress version: 1.10.1
Flask-SocketIO version: 2.9.6
future version: 0.18.2
gcovr version: 5.0
gdbgui version: 0.13.2.0
gevent version: 1.5.0
greenlet version: 1.1.2
idf-component-manager version: 1.0.0
idna version: 3.3
itsdangerous version: 2.0.1
Jinja2 version: 3.0.3
kconfiglib version: 13.7.1
lxml version: 4.7.1
MarkupSafe version: 2.0.1
pip version: 20.3.3
psutil version: 5.9.0
pycparser version: 2.21
pyelftools version: 0.27
pygdbmi version: 0.9.0.2
Pygments version: 2.11.1
pyparsing version: 2.3.1
pyserial version: 3.5
python-engineio version: 3.14.2
python-socketio version: 4.6.1
pywin32 version: 303
PyYAML version: 6.0
reedsolo version: 1.5.4
requests version: 2.27.1
requests-toolbelt version: 0.9.1
schema version: 0.7.5
semantic-version version: 2.8.5
setuptools version: 60.2.0
six version: 1.16.0
tqdm version: 4.62.3
urllib3 version: 1.26.7
websocket-client version: 1.2.3
Werkzeug version: 0.16.1
wheel version: 0.36.2
windows-curses version: 2.3.0
xmlrunner version: 1.7.7
---------------------------------------------------- Check ESP-IDF python requirements.txt -------------------------------------------------
Check ESP-IDF Python packages Python requirements from C:\Users\ralph\esp\esp-idf\requirements.txt are satisfied.
---------------------------------------------------- Check extension requirements.txt ------------------------------------------------------
Check Extension Python packages Python requirements from c:\Users\ralph\.vscode\extensions\espressif.esp-idf-extension-1.3.0\requirements.txt are satisfied.
---------------------------------------------------- Check ESP-IDF debug adapter requirements.txt ------------------------------------------
Check Debug AdapterPython packages Python requirements from c:\Users\ralph\.vscode\extensions\espressif.esp-idf-extension-1.3.0\esp_debug_adapter\requirements.txt are satisfied.
---------------------------------------------------- Visual Studio Code launch.json --------------------------------------------------------
{
  "version": "0.2.0",
  "configurations": [
    {
      "type": "espidf",
      "name": "Launch",
      "request": "launch"
    }
  ]
} 
---------------------------------------------------- Visual Studio Code c_cpp_properties.json ----------------------------------------------
{
        {
            "name": "ESP-IDF",
            "compilerPath": "C:/.espressif2/tools/xtensa-esp32s2-elf/esp-2021r2-8.4.0/xtensa-esp32s2-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32s2-elf-gcc.exe",
            "cStandard": "c11",
            "cppStandard": "c++17",
            "includePath": [
                "${config:idf.espIdfPath}/components/**",
                "${config:idf.espIdfPathWin}/components/**",
                "${config:idf.espAdfPath}/components/**",
                "${config:idf.espAdfPathWin}/components/**",
                "${workspaceFolder}/**"
            ],
            "browse": {
                "path": [
                    "${config:idf.espIdfPath}/components",
                    "${config:idf.espIdfPathWin}/components",
                    "${workspaceFolder}"
                ],
                "limitSymbolsToIncludedHeaders": false
            },
            "compileCommands": "${workspaceFolder}/build/compile_commands.json",
            "configurationProvider": "ms-vscode.cmake-tools"
        }
    ],
    "version": 4
} 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RalphD

Postby RalphD » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:53 pm

desperate for a solution I just downgraded to version 1.2 and everything works just fine again. I should have done that when the message popped up that the version has been updated.

The final situation before I switched back to 1.2 was that the debugger was not working. Flashing through jtag made the process hung.

switching back to 1.2 works fine WITHOUT ANY CHANGE IN ANY SETTING OR CONFIG

conclusion stay away from 1.3 stay away from VScode with Espressife extension for serious professional projects with tight project timelines. There is no support with in an acceptable time frame for the user.

ESP_bignacio

Postby ESP_bignacio » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:01 am

Hi RalphD, we are very sorry for the inconvenience ,thankfully you can always rollback to previous versions easily if they were working before.

About the issue you are having. I need more information about your setup and the output you are trying to use.

Please share all related Troubleshooting information. For example, in the first doctor command output we couldn't see the settings being used in your extension only the second doctor command output. What is the build output ? and ESP-IDF Output after installing settings? You used a different version of openOCD and IDF_TARGET.

RalphD

Postby RalphD » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:02 pm

please allow to focus on my project which got a deadline. I am working with IDf extension 1.2 right now as it at least compiles and flashes seamlessly.

However, there are some issues left, which are key features for smooth working with the IDE.

After switching back to 1.2 I get this error when opening the project or editing the key json files setting or c_cpp_properties.json.
If they are saved the cmake compile script is invoked and through s this error

CMake Error at C:/Users/ralph/esp/esp-idf/tools/cmake/project.cmake:311 (__project):The CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER:

xtensa-esp32-elf-g++

is not a full path and was not found in the PATH.

Tell CMake where to find the compiler by setting either the environment
variable "CXX" or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to the full path
to the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.

and the same for xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.

However, the path are properly set in the windows path variable and the project compiles, flashes and debugs fine.

But the %PATH% variable is not set explicitly to the bin folder of the compiler. I expect that covered somewhere where the target is set through the command palette:set target. see further down.

I think due to this cmake issue the following settings in c_cpp_properties.json did not work for intellisense resolution

{
        {
            "compilerPath": "C:/.espressif2/tools/xtensa-esp32s2-elf/esp-2021r2-8.4.0/xtensa-esp32s2-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32s2-elf-gcc.exe",
            "includePath": [
                "${config:idf.espIdfPath}/components/",
                "${config:idf.espIdfPathWin}/components/ ",
                "${workspaceFolder}/**"
            ],
            "browse": {
                "path": [
                    "${config:idf.espIdfPath}/components/**",
                    "${config:idf.espIdfPathWin}/components/**",
                    "${workspaceFolder}"
                ],
                "limitSymbolsToIncludedHeaders": false
            },
            "compileCommands": "${workspaceFolder}/build/compile_commands.json",
            "configurationProvider": "ms-vscode.cmake-tools"
        }
    ],
}
I helped me for now with this following setting for c_cpp_properties.json

{
      {
        "compileCommands": "${workspaceFolder}/build/compile_commands.json"
      }
    ],
  }
I need to keep on with my project for now, but if you help me to solve that last issue I will come back later to solve the problem with version 1.3

Going through lots of googling I experienced that issues with changing the extension version never goes smooth in the past. And so now with 1.3 but this time, downgrading leaves issues too. That is the worse situation.

this is my current doctor output

OS win32 x64 10.0.19042 
 C:\Windows\system32;%Path%;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Program Files\nodejs;C:\.espressif2\tools\cmake\3.16.4\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\ninja\1.10.2;C:\.espressif2\python_env\idf4.3_py3.8_env\Scripts;C:\.espressif2\tools\openocd-esp32\v0.10.0-esp32-20211111\openocd-esp32\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files\JetBrains\PhpStorm 2020.2.3\bin;;C:\Users\ralph\.dotnet\tools;C:\wamp64\bin\php\php7.4.9;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\Composer\vendor\bin;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\bin;C:\Users\ralph\.platformio\penv\Scripts;C:\Program Files\JetBrains\CLion 2021.3.2\bin;; 
 undefined 
ESP-IDF Extension version 1.2.0 
Custom extra paths (idf.customExtraPaths) C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32-elf\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32s2-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32s2-elf\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\riscv32-esp-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\riscv32-esp-elf\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\esp32ulp-elf\2.28.51-esp-20191205\esp32ulp-elf-binutils\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\esp32s2ulp-elf\2.28.51-esp-20191205\esp32s2ulp-elf-binutils\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\cmake\3.16.4\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\openocd-esp32\v0.10.0-esp32-20211111\openocd-esp32\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\ninja\1.10.2;C:\.espressif2\tools\idf-exe\1.0.1;C:\.espressif2\tools\ccache\3.7;C:\.espressif2\tools\dfu-util\0.9\dfu-util-0.9-win64
Custom extra vars (idf.customExtraVars) {"OPENOCD_SCRIPTS":"C:\\.espressif2\\tools\\openocd-esp32\\v0.10.0-esp32-20211111/openocd-esp32/share/openocd/scripts","IDF_CCACHE_ENABLE":"1"}
Virtual env Python Path (idf.pythonBinPath) C:\.espressif2\python_env\idf4.3_py3.8_env\Scripts\python.exe
OpenOCD Configs (idf.openOcdConfigs) interface/ftdi/esp32_devkitj_v1.cfg,target/esp32s2.cfg
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32-elf\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32s2-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32s2-elf\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\riscv32-esp-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\riscv32-esp-elf\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\esp32ulp-elf\2.28.51-esp-20191205\esp32ulp-elf-binutils\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\esp32s2ulp-elf\2.28.51-esp-20191205\esp32s2ulp-elf-binutils\bin: true
Access to C:\.espressif2\tools\openocd-esp32\v0.10.0-esp32-20211111\openocd-esp32\bin: true
ESP-IDF version 4.3.2
Python version 3.8.7
Check ESP-IDF Python packages Python requirements from C:\Users\ralph\esp\esp-idf\requirements.txt are satisfied.
Check Extension Python packages Python requirements from c:\Users\ralph\.vscode\extensions\espressif.esp-idf-extension-1.2.0\requirements.txt are satisfied.
Check Debug AdapterPython packages Python requirements from c:\Users\ralph\.vscode\extensions\espressif.esp-idf-extension-1.2.0\esp_debug_adapter\requirements.txt are satisfied.
---------------------------------------------------- Visual Studio Code launch.json --------------------------------------------------------
{
    {
    }
  ]
} 
---------------------------------------------------- Visual Studio Code c_cpp_properties.json ----------------------------------------------
{
      {
      }
    ],
  } 
I just see that indeed the compiler path are not set in the PATH variable. I updated my PATH to the compiler bin folder and the error is gone. but if I do so I would need to include all three flavors of the compiler in the %PATH% ? how does the change target command mechanism work then? I have correctly set the target via the command palette.

So why did it work before changing to 1.3 and stopped working downgrading again? does it have to do that in 1.3 the microsoft extension suit is a dependency and that includes the cmake extension?

this is my final doctor output

OS win32 x64 10.0.19042 
 C:\Windows\system32;%Path%;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Program Files\nodejs;C:\.espressif2\tools\cmake\3.16.4\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools\ninja\1.10.2;C:\.espressif2\python_env\idf4.3_py3.8_env\Scripts;C:\.espressif2\tools\openocd-esp32\v0.10.0-esp32-20211111\openocd-esp32\bin;C:\.espressif2\tools;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files\JetBrains\PhpStorm 2020.2.3\bin;;C:\Users\ralph\.dotnet\tools;C:\wamp64\bin\php\php7.4.9;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Roaming\Composer\vendor\bin;C:\Users\ralph\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\bin;C:\Users\ralph\.platformio\penv\Scripts;C:\Program Files\JetBrains\CLion 2021.3.2\bin;;C:\.espressif2\tools\xtensa-esp32s2-elf\esp-2021r2-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32s2-elf\bin; 
 undefined 
ESP-IDF Extension version 1.2.0 
ESP-IDF version 4.3.2
Python version 3.8.7
Check Extension Python packages Python requirements from c:\Users\ralph\.vscode\extensions\espressif.esp-idf-extension-1.2.0\requirements.txt are satisfied.
Check Debug AdapterPython packages Python requirements from c:\Users\ralph\.vscode\extensions\espressif.esp-idf-extension-1.2.0\esp_debug_adapter\requirements.txt are satisfied.
{
    {
    }
  ]
} 
{
      {
      }
    ],
  } 

RalphD

Postby RalphD » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:00 pm

more issues remaining with debugging. It does not work as normal. sometimes I can not jump over a function call and sometimes a jump into behaves like jump out.

Flashing: the flashing output does not go to the terminal