Opening an existing project in Virtual Studio Code

shieldy_guy

Opening an existing project in Virtual Studio Code

Postby shieldy_guy » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:01 pm

Howdy list ,

A colleague started development of our application with esp-idf and the command line. I'm able to get it to build and flash from there. I've now got the esp-idf extension installed and working within VSCode. I can open example code, flash, debug, etc, and it's great.

How can I get an existing project working within this framework? I'm having trouble understanding what needs to go where before I can build / flash the existing project. the one relevant tutorial I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IuZ-E8Tmhg
has him 1: using windows specific preferences (I'm on OSX) and 2: still pretty much just using the CLI. I wasn't able to get my project up and running with these instructions.

Can anyone point me to any resources or give me any pointers here? I'm a little bit clueless! :)

ESP_bignacio

Re: Opening an existing project in Virtual Studio Code

Postby ESP_bignacio » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:39 am

You should be able to work with any project with the ESP-IDF vscode extension if the folder structure follow this structure:

Code: Select all

- myProject/
             - CMakeLists.txt
             - sdkconfig
             - components/ - component1/ - CMakeLists.txt
                                         - Kconfig
                                         - src1.c
                           - component2/ - CMakeLists.txt
                                         - Kconfig
                                         - src1.c
                                         - include/ - component2.h
             - main/       - CMakeLists.txt
                           - src1.c
                           - src2.c
Technically the extension activates when you run any of our commands, or if the workspace folder contains a project_description.json, sdkconfig or CMakeLists.txt file.