VSCode OpenOCD GDB debugging - can't get UI to step

technosf

VSCode OpenOCD GDB debugging - can't get UI to step

Postby technosf » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:34 am

I'm wrestling with getting FTDI/JTAG working with OpenOCD and GDB along with VSCode

I'm using the Blink example and appear to have everything working individually. But it looks as though the VSCode debugger is attached to a different place in the code or process than the main GDB terminal. I can run through the code in the GDB terminal but can't control anything nor see the storage in VSCode.

The entire project is here:

https://github.com/technosf/ESP-Blink-VSCode-FTDI

I would appreciate any info or help.

ESP_bignacio

Re: VSCode OpenOCD GDB debugging - can't get UI to step

Postby ESP_bignacio » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:31 am

Hello there !

Are you using Visual Studio Code with our ESP-IDF extension or which extension are you using ?

If using our extension, having set the proper configuration, there a debug adapter implementation which by default start its own gdb process (or you can connect to an existent one by using mode" "manual" and debugPort on launch.json as explained in Debugging docs)

technosf

Re: VSCode OpenOCD GDB debugging - can't get UI to step

Postby technosf » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:34 am

I am using the ESP-IDF extension with release/4.2 branch of ESP-IDF

I had not seen that page before - just moved to the naked "type": "espidf" launcher. OpenOCD starts fine, but getting the error below - Time to open an issue, or have I missed something?

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/technosf/.vscode/extensions/espressif.esp-idf-extension-0.5.1/esp_debug_adapter/debug_adapter_main.py", line 26, in <module>
    from debug_adapter import cli
  File "/home/technosf/.vscode/extensions/espressif.esp-idf-extension-0.5.1/esp_debug_adapter/debug_adapter/__init__.py", line 25, in <module>
    from .debug_adapter import DebugAdapter, A2VSC_READY2CONNECT_STRING, A2VSC_STOPPED_STRING, A2VSC_STARTED_STRING
  File "/home/technosf/.vscode/extensions/espressif.esp-idf-extension-0.5.1/esp_debug_adapter/debug_adapter/debug_adapter.py", line 38, in <module>
    from . import schema
  File "/home/technosf/.vscode/extensions/espressif.esp-idf-extension-0.5.1/esp_debug_adapter/debug_adapter/schema.py", line 4690
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xe2' in file /home/technosf/.vscode/extensions/espressif.esp-idf-extension-0.5.1/esp_debug_adapter/debug_adapter/schema.py on line 4691, but no encoding declared; see http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0263/ for details
[Stopped] : ESP-IDF Debug Adapter
Thanks for the pointer ESP_bignacio.