Missing paramer when starting monitor on Espressif-IDE VSCode Extension

blachner

Missing paramer when starting monitor on Espressif-IDE VSCode Extension

Postby blachner » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:16 am

If I try to open the monitor on Espressif-IDE VSCode Extension (Ctrl + E M), I get the following error:

Code: Select all

/home/user/.espressif/python_env/idf5.1_py3.9_env/bin/python /home/user/esp/esp-idf/tools/idf_monitor.py -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 115200 --toolchain-prefix  --target esp32c6 /home/user/esp/blink/build/blink.elf
usage: idf_monitor - a serial output monitor for esp-idf [-h] [--port PORT] [--no-reset] [--disable-address-decoding] [--baud BAUD] [--make MAKE] [--encrypted]
                                                         [--toolchain-prefix TOOLCHAIN_PREFIX] [--eol {CR,LF,CRLF}] [--print_filter PRINT_FILTER] [--decode-coredumps {info,disable}]
                                                         [--decode-panic {backtrace,disable}] [--target TARGET] [--revision REVISION] [--ws WS] [--timestamps]
                                                         [--timestamp-format TIMESTAMP_FORMAT] [--force-color]
                                                         [elf_file]
idf_monitor - a serial output monitor for esp-idf: error: argument --toolchain-prefix: expected one argument
It seems TOOLCHAIN_PREFIX is not set. I don't find a way to set it in the Espressif-IDE VSCode Extension. I just can remove the parameter "--toolchain-prefix" and monitor works.

It also woks, If I use the following command in the shell:
idf.py -p /dev/ttyUSB0 monitor

The parameter than is set to:
"--toolchain-prefix riscv32-esp-elf-"

By the way, compiling and flashing from the Espressif-IDE VSCode Extension works without problems.

ESP_bignacio

Re: Missing paramer when starting monitor on Espressif-IDE VSCode Extension

Postby ESP_bignacio » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:07 am

How are you setting the target to esp32c6 ? We haven't add support for it in the vscode extension yet.

Probably because the toolchain_prefix is defined based on target and is a null string for anything else. Should fix this in the extension soon.

blachner

Postby blachner » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:23 pm

I set the target to esp32c6 with ESP-IDF: Set Espressif device target as described here: https://github.com/espressif/vscode-esp ... sic_use.md

esp32c6 was in the drop down list shown in VS Code.

Compiling and flashing woks. Monitor not.

ESP_bignacio

Postby ESP_bignacio » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:24 am

This should be fixed in v1.6.1. Please take a look