power options for enclosure using ESP32 board

shan.mcarthur

power options for enclosure using ESP32 board

Postby shan.mcarthur » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:30 am

I am finally to a point where I am ready to take my ESP32 prototype from my desk to an enclosure. I am wondering what I can do for powering my project. Ideally I would like to use a standard USB-C connector (just for power, not for communication), AND I would like to have a toggle switch to turn it off. Should I look at a USB breakout board and then wiring VBUS and GND straight to the board? Or do I need to have some form of limiter in between? I don't really want to mount the board against the edge of the project, so I would prefer not using the on-board USB connector. How are people mounting their boards and providing power?

Craige Hales

Re: power options for enclosure using ESP32 board

Postby Craige Hales » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:57 pm

It sounds like you have some sort of dev kit
Did you make a pcb to mount the dev kit on? Then you'd use either the 5V or 3.3V pin to power it. I used 5V supply like this for one project:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 77/9356906
wide range of power line voltage and frequency. good specs. adds about $20 to a project...needs a power cord and grommet and etc.
If you are just leaving the dev kit bouncing around in the project box, some sort of bulkhead connector, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B284JR61 might work. Get the right connector on each end and you are done. Also adds about $20 to a project...needs a wall-wart.
You might use a 5V wall wart and cut off the connector and solder to the gnd/5V pins on the dev kit. That could get you below $10.
Craige

corz.org

Postby corz.org » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:21 pm

I like those breadboard powerstrips you see on AliExpress..

They are crazy-cheap (around £1) and usually give you multiple power inputs; various USB, 5.5mm DC socket, etc. You don't *need* to mount them on a breadboard. They will provide input power regulation as well as multiple power output options for your project. There are three main types available. This is my favourite..

You can find tiny non-breadboard power regulator boards on AliExpress, too, but they aren't so much fun, nor as versatile when a project retires.

Why not break free of cables and use an 18650 shield? You still have USB for charging, but when disconnected, you can roam free. They come in 1x, 2x and 4x 18650 (and other battery sizes). I have found these provide a nice stable, long-lasting (providing you use good quality batteries) power output.

mbratch

Postby mbratch » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:49 pm

You haven't really said what moving "to an enclosure" means in terms of everything else. Since you refer to not wanting to "mount the board" near the edge, I assume you mean a development board (as others have suggested)? If you want to use the 3.3v or 5v supply pins on the development board then, yes, you will need to regulate the power externally. I think the 5v input gives a small amount of regulation (check the specs of the dev board for details). The question is: how do you want to power the enclosed module? If USB power would otherwise be ok, why are you concerned about having the board near the wall of the enclosure? When you move to the enclosure does the overall package need to be robust and customer friendly, or do you still consider it a prototype?

shan.mcarthur

Postby shan.mcarthur » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:54 am

Some additional details. First off, I want this to be modern and I consider a USB-C adapter as a great way to plug in any device. I don't want to have those old round plugs that need dedicated wall bricks to power. My challenge with mounting the microcontroller board is that it is likely going to be near the front of my device near the input buttons and screen, and yet I want the power adapter to be plugged into the back. The rear of the device is going to be taken up by the physical aspects of my device so I can't just mount a dev board with an onboard USB adapter at the back of the device. I have just purchased some cheap USC-C ports and will be able to design the case to mount these, so that is my first preference.

This is my first device, so it is really a prototype, but I am working up skills so that I can make commercial devices later. I am starting with a feather dev board and will likely build it with a non-dev feather. I don't mind thinking through these creative options as I will learn valuable skills in the process.

mbratch

Postby mbratch » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:37 pm

The Feather board has pins labeld USB (power?) and BAT. If one of these takes 5Vdc in to power the board, perhaps you could wire one of your USB-C connectors to it (power and ground).

bidrohini

Postby bidrohini » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:21 pm

I believe you need to design something like this: https://www.hackster.io/skw-lk/enclosur ... ect-f36486

heyitsyang

Postby heyitsyang » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:30 am

I know this is an old thread, but here's something you might find useful for projects where you'd like clean a wall plug powered look:

https://www.tindie.com/products/shencen ... us-2-pack/