Any good books using Espressif tools?

theycallmevirgo

Any good books using Espressif tools?

Postby theycallmevirgo » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:43 pm

I've seen several books dedicated to esp32 but they all use Arduino. Anything on the Espressif tools?

Thanks so much

Joe

P32Studio

Re: Any good books using Espressif tools?

Postby P32Studio » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:43 am

Hi.

If you know what you are doing, these are official Espressif documents useful for low-level programming & design:

Xtensa instruction set.pdf - https://0x04.net/~mwk/doc/xtensa.pdf
Technical Reference Manual.pdf - https://www.espressif.com/sites/default ... ual_en.pdf
esp32_hardware_design_guidelines_en.pdf - https://www.espressif.com/sites/default ... nes_en.pdf
esp32_datasheet_en.pdf - https://www.espressif.com/sites/default ... eet_en.pdf

A nice book with code examples:
FreeRTOS for ESP32-Arduino - Practical Multitasking Fundamentals (by Warren Gay)

Hard to know what you are looking for. And what you mean by "Espressif tools".

xien551

Postby xien551 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:54 am

Arduino is not a real time system and can not do well on real-time work. The best books on IDF is the doc of the SDK and the code of example fold.

theycallmevirgo

Postby theycallmevirgo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:50 am

What I mean by espressif tools is the gnu toolchain you can download from espressif website, as opposed to arduino ide

xien551

Postby xien551 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:44 am

That's what I mean, IDF, Internet of Thing development Frame work, based on freeRTOS, namely SDK.

GNU is only the part of building tools, The total tool-chains includes: xtensa-gcc, python, gcc, g++ and so on, a very large software collection. No one could really understand all the toolchains, what you need is just to know how to use, the work principle under them is very complex. The tool chains is not written by Esp.

SDK is the development kit, containing the total library what you need to build the bin file used for writing into flash, driving the ESP32. SDK is written and supplied by Esp.

SDK include IDF and Arduino.There are also AT, nodemcu(Lua), or micropython packages to drive the esp32. They works like console, and is easy to learn.

I don't know when the book on IDF will be published. But the .rst file in docs direction of IDF is sufficient. The published book may be just a copy of these .rst files.

I was also learn the ESP32 and IDF, I have used ESP8266 long times ago. The Arduino can not give the real time and full performance of Peripherals. To full understand them, you should learn the microprocessor course, which is a professional course for computer and electrical engineering majors.

I'm not entirely right, There may be something wrong, but hope it helps.

PeteDD

Postby PeteDD » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:28 pm

A nice book with code examples:
FreeRTOS for ESP32-Arduino - Practical Multitasking Fundamentals (by Warren Gay)
:?: I have been considering buying this book but note that it has not been updated since being published in January 2020.
Do you find that this book is still accurate considering how much has changed in four years?

Thanks.

liaifat85

Postby liaifat85 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:09 pm

DrMickeyLauer

Postby DrMickeyLauer » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:09 pm

I agree. Something like a modern Kolban w/ pure ESP-IDF and covering the whole ESP32 family would be something I'd love to read.
Perhaps something to write…

mikemoy

Postby mikemoy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:03 am