[solved] how to add / see a esp32 mesh in the ESPMESH app?

sebasdt

[solved] how to add / see a esp32 mesh in the ESPMESH app?

Postby sebasdt » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:14 pm

hi all!

For a week I'm trying to get into esp mesh with the esp-MDF together with the espressif idf.

I have installed the esp-mdf and the esp-idf on a windows machine. compiling, flashing, monitoring and opening the menuconfig works like a charm. i understand how the mesh should work in theory.

tested the internal_networking with the examples from esp-idf and it worked.

after that I saw the ESP-MESH app. here is where I learned I needed to use other examples from the esp-mdf, got a little overwhelmed by it.

Search for an example that lets the mesh or root connect to the internet (function_demo > mwifi > router) and a light example (development_kit > light)

connected my phone to that router and started the ESP-MESH app up. aaannnd saw no esp32. a wrong example maybe?

i have not a great clue of what example to use. so what should i use?
Last edited by sebasdt on Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sebasdt

Re: how to add / see a esp32 mesh in the ESPMESH app?

Postby sebasdt » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:22 pm

i just found out myself....
the mesh app couldn't find any esp32 with the ESP-MDF examples.
you need to turn your location on before the app is opened. now you can follow the rest of the guide. (github.com/espressif/esp-mdf/tree/master/examples/development_kit)

you only need to search for one esp32 in mesh mode to make one mesh. the rest will be added semi automatically.

i used the light examples and set the red led to the build-in led to see if it's connected. (idf.py menuconfig --> example config --> light driver config)
also if you would press the reset button a few times it will switch to configuration mode (default is 5 times)