esp32 -Jtag Programming

kubera

esp32 -Jtag Programming

Postby kubera » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:53 am

Hi, I got a new esp32 chip,

Trying to flash the code with JTAG options. The chip is fresh nothing is written into it.

when I tried to upload the new partition.bin using the following command

openocd -f board/esp32-wrover-kit-3.3v.cfg -c "program_esp filename.bin 0x10000 verify exit"

programming was finished but verify is getting failed.

the partition table is having ota partition included. I don't know whether that would make any diffrence.

I tried uploading bootloader.bin and app firmware all resulted in the same error.

what should I do? Is it not possible to upload new fresh chips using jtag?

ESP_igrr

Re: esp32 -Jtag Programming

Postby ESP_igrr » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi kubera, are you able to run esptool.py tool to read flash contents from the chip? It may help determine why programming over JTAG is failing. For instance, try reading back the flash contents, and compare it with the binary file. See if flash is not programmed at all, or there are only some programming errors in bits/bytes.

kubera

Postby kubera » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:42 pm

ESP_igrr wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:59 pm
Hi kubera, are you able to run esptool.py tool to read flash contents from the chip? It may help determine why programming over JTAG is failing. For instance, try reading back the flash contents, and compare it with the binary file. See if flash is not programmed at all, or there are only some programming errors in bits/bytes.
Hi, thanks for the reply,
Would you please tell me how to read the flash contents using JTAG. Because i only have JTAG option available.

Swagger

Postby Swagger » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:25 am

hi, I am also having the same issue. But once I program the chip using UART, from there onwards there is not issue with JTAG.

But when trying with JTAG alone , facing same issue. Don't know what is the problem.

kubera

Postby kubera » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:42 am

Yes but in my case I don't have uart options provided in the PCB. trying via JTAG. Can anyone help??

ESP_Alexey

Postby ESP_Alexey » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:30 am

Hi
Yes but in my case I don't have uart options provided in the PCB. trying via JTAG. Can anyone help??
You can use OpenOCD flash read commands http://openocd.org/doc/html/Flash-Comma ... g-to-Flash.

For example you can read flash with

Code: Select all

flash read_bank 0 filename.bin 0x10000 <size_of_bin>