ESP32-C5 -=what is known so far=-

rudi ;-)

Re: ESP32-C5 -=what is known so far=-

Postby rudi ;-) » Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:27 pm

update:
=======

Hi Folks,

please correct me if the assumption is not correct.
ESP32C5beta3 is preview supported in ESP-IDF V5.3 and ESP32-C5 MP will be supported in ESP32-IDF V5.4
which contains the ESP32-C5N, ESP32-C5NR4 ESP32-C5NF4, ( ESP32-C5-WROOM-1 MAN8R4) , ESP32-C5-DevKitC1-N8R4 )

Current status of ESP32-C5 MP support, the career is continued here by Ivan.
view.png
view.png (66.95 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
I'm not quite sure if we can still use ESP-IDF V5.3 or V5.3.1 for the ESP32-C5-DevKitC (Chip V0.0) or if we have to switch to the ESP-IDF-V5.4 dev and can still use the ESP32-C5Beta3.

In any case of uncertainty : Create a new folder :) (Fun, maybe someone can add the correctness)

btw: the SoC on a fresh PCB want's a FW :)
c5ss.png
ESP32-C5 MP
c5ss.png (587.83 KiB) Viewed 2923 times

best wishes
rudi ;-)

edit: I forgot to mention that we unfortunately don't have ESP32-C5 MP support "public" yet or did I not notice something or even missed it?

edit: typo
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:02 am

update:

Hi Folks,

i use for a fast test ESP-IDF V5.3 with preview support for the ESP32-C5 MP

your friend is:
idf.py --preview set-target ESP32C5

cause we can set 40 MHz / 48 MHz crystal for the ESP32-C5 in the Code / ESP-IDF ( used 48 MHz here ) so the bootloader works well at 115200 but not in the app code - you need to set the baudrate by your self in the ESP-IDF V5.3

i use for the used 48 MHz crystal a Baudrate of 138240 this should be in the ESP-IDF V5.3 a standard

( check then the menuconfig for switching to ESP32-C5 MP )
p2.png
p2.png (26.3 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
( you can use a custom uart too if you use an 40 MHz crystal - i have not checked this by code yet hope you get the idea behind )
p4.png
p4.png (59.17 KiB) Viewed 2798 times

save, build, flash and volla :
ESP32-C5 MP bootlog hello world ESP-IDF V 5.3 preview.png
ESP32-C5 MP bootlog hello world ESP-IDF V 5.3 preview.png (139.16 KiB) Viewed 2798 times

this helps for the ESP32-C5 MP if you use the preview support ESP-IDF V5.3
now i am waiting for the ESP-IDF V5.4 :)

WoWZa !

best wishes
rudi ;-)
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:37 pm

update:
======

I was asked in XDM how I know this. no insider tip sry :lol:
If you use the V5.3 you find the hint in the ESP-IDF V5.3 Code to use 138240 baud for the ESP32-C5 and 48MHz"

If you are one of the lucky few who were able to get some from ESPRESSIF Official Store ( Aliexpress ) / or Espressif Sales
this Baudrate can be also used for the ESP32-C5-DevKitC-1, so i think 48Mhz is used in the DevKit which comes with Sample V0.0 Chip.

( Hint M5Stack posted in July a ESP32-C5 prototype. From picture it is used 48MHz crystal, and you see the new one with QFN48 , and traces to follow your design, btw you find all infos around the world, you simple have to catch them :lol: )
M5Stack on X Something arrived_ X.png
M5Stack ESP32-C5
M5Stack on X Something arrived_ X.png (534.63 KiB) Viewed 2710 times

Use 138240 in your serial connection ( putty .. or anything you use )
and you see the bootlog. Don't be alarmed at 138240, the stage 1 is cryptic, but the app code is readable. Reversed 115200 the stage 1 is readable for the bootloader e.g. hope this helps, i think docu is not ready for this yet.

Stay tuned :mrgreen:

best wishes
rudi ;-)
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:21 pm

update
======
Hi Folks

just want update this
ESP32-C5-DevKitC-1 N8R4 from aliexpress ESPRESSIF Official Shop is here
soldered is ESP32-C5-WROOM-1 ( MAN8R4 )
ccontains:
Sample Chip V0.0
- MCU SoC ESP32-C5 NR4 ( 4 MB inside packed )
- external 8 MB Flash

picture says more
ESP32-C5-DevKitC-1 Sample Chip V0.0.jpg
ESP32-C5-DevKitC-1 N8R4
ESP32-C5-DevKitC-1 Sample Chip V0.0.jpg (70.7 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
BBS_C5_iperf.jpg
iperf ESP32-C5 Sample
BBS_C5_iperf.jpg (176.28 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
best wishes
rudi ;-)

edit: add snippet from iperf splash boot picture
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:06 pm

update
=======

Hi Folks :)
what is known so far is the description of this thread so
i upload now this - you are updated what is known so far.
BBS_GTH_X_cmp_C5_M.jpg
BBS_GTH_X_cmp_C5_M.jpg (94.48 KiB) Viewed 1952 times

That also explains :? one or the other

....there can be nothing hidden!

best wishes
rudi ;-)

edit : "the antenna looks mirrored inverted"
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:08 am

update
=======
Hi Folks,

someone must have taken the trouble to edit the image of the antenna with emboss / relief filter also to disguise parts of the lettering around the antenna structure, so bad that it almost borders on common sense. I think the perpetrator was convicted :) There is only one version.

recursion X.png
recursion X.png (362.48 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
A comparison of the manipulated image to an original and recursive filtering made the "fraud" visible. (to be seen in the video) Why do people do this?

There are also good news :
Further ESP32-C5-DevkitC-1 spotted in the wild :)
Lozaning on X Got my ESP-32-C5 WROOM samples in the mail!.png
Lozaning on X Got my ESP-32-C5 WROOM samples in the mail!.png (492.12 KiB) Viewed 1599 times

best wishes
rudi ;-)
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:24 pm

Hi Folks

At the moment I'm very busy with the C5.
The little one is amazingly good and at the same time you expect more and more and go into areas that are not yet covered and bump into things here and there. (When is the MP time coming - I want more, we are eagerly waiting for it :) )

After breaking firmware and time-consuming checking and testing, I have created my own small program specially tailored to the C5 on the desktop of a tried and tested IDE since my youth in order to test recurring processes more quickly. You find a screenshot bottum attached, If there is interest in the program, I can also upload it, the created FW image goes to the **knowed repos**

A small video was created for this - which was uploaded to the ESP32 channel, if you are interested you can find it here. Nothing special, just shows that 5G works as far as the current state is concerned. A bit of a color spruce up - but that's not really my thing - I mostly just focus on the functionality - hope it meets the general mainstream requirements :)

As I also encountered various problems with the preview factory firmware and the example iperf did not compile as desired with my installed version of ESP-IDF V5.3-dirty / ESP-IDF V5.4-dirty, the wifi-binary lib and extra adjustments etc., after some advice from espressif support (many thanks at this point) I jumped to the ESP-IDF Master with the current status and version ESP-IDF V5.4-dev-2744-g59e1838270-dirty for this experiment, and I have to say, it helped me to deal with the problems and compile the iPERF firmware after adjustment.

Flashed onto two ESP32-C5-DevKitC-1 and various design PCBs (working so far), I was able to test various things via iPERF that I hadn't been able to do with the factory FW at first, but I am also entitled to apologize and deny blame, as it was a very early stage of development and not all areas that the C5 makes available were covered.

With the current state of things, I was able to test more than before and successfully. Cross-country setups are now possible and work so far. The 5G mode started in my area with 20MBit/s and passed the iPERF test without any problems, there is still potential and I am very interested in further testing and performance improvements, which are certainly far from over at this point in time and in this environment.

- PSRAM support? Yes
- WiFi 2.4 / 5.8? Yes
- 5G AP possible? Yes
- 5G STA possible? YES
- Can the AP be scanned by STA? YES
- Can it also find other AP? Yes
- Can the STA join the AP? Yes
- Country support? Yes

There's still a lot more to be done :)

Next week it will be a bit quieter because of the upcoming Mid-Autumn Festival and next week we'll go into more detail and the interaction between firmware and PCB and the DevKits. I'm really curious to see how it goes. There will definitely be more PCB designs for various occasions and tests. I'll write a thread about this in the hardware section that might be of interest to some people and then share my findings here and also in the target project there **knowed repos**.

If you got an Kit be sure to use 138240 baud instead 115200 in this version with putty or any other TERMprog
this is temporally a need casued a *bit mistake in the efuse* and using 48MHz crystal on this kits / SoC

Wish you a happy mid-autumn (中秋节) festival in advance if we not read/write next days
greetings fly out to friends all over the globe
best wishes
rudi ;-)

edit: append info baud and things what was tested
Attachments
C5-Test.png
C5-Test.png (151.72 KiB) Viewed 898 times
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪