ESP32 SPI SCLK GPIO drive strength

andrewelder

ESP32 SPI SCLK GPIO drive strength

Postby andrewelder » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:35 pm

I have a custom design using an ESP32 that will have the SPI SCLK fanning out to 3 SPI devices. I'm trying to set the drive strength of the GPIO used for the SPI SCLK to the maximum possible. I have code that looks like:

Code: Select all

#define CMGPIO_BR_SPI_SCLK GPIO_NUM_2

and

buscfg.miso_io_num = CMGPIO_BR_SPI_MISO;
    buscfg.mosi_io_num = CMGPIO_BR_SPI_MOSI;
    buscfg.sclk_io_num = CMGPIO_BR_SPI_SCLK;
    buscfg.quadwp_io_num = -1;
    buscfg.quadhd_io_num = -1;
    buscfg.max_transfer_sz = TCAN4550_BUFFER_SIZE

after

ret = spi_bus_initialize(CMGPIO_CAN_BR_SPI_DEVICE, &buscfg, SPI_DMA_CH_AUTO);

have

ESP_ERROR_CHECK(gpio_set_drive_capability(CMGPIO_BR_SPI_SCLK, GPIO_DRIVE_CAP_0));

For testing purposes I have the ESP SPI bus communicating with a single TCAN4550 EVM. That works fine. The SCLK rise and fall time as observed on my scope is around 10 ns. That is with the SCLK connected directly to the 'scope and no longer connected to the TCAN4550. According to what I have observed, not calling gpio_set_drive_capability() and calling gpio_set_drive_capability() with GPIO_DRIVE_CAP_0 o GPIO_DRIVE_CAP_3 all give exactly the same SCLK rise and fall times. How do I actually adjust the SCLK drive strength?

Thanks,
Andrew

MicroController

Re: ESP32 SPI SCLK GPIO drive strength

Postby MicroController » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:50 pm

What lets you believe that the IO's drive strength is too low, or not at the maximum already? Did you actually observe any issues?

Panometric

Postby Panometric » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:52 am

I recently tested this on SPI lines to reduce EMI, it appears to work great on an ESP32-S3. Setting 0 might be too extreme depending on your clock rate.

Code: Select all

gpio_set_drive_capability((gpio_num_t)brd->GPIO_LCD_CLK, GPIO_DRIVE_CAP_0);
        gpio_set_drive_capability((gpio_num_t)brd->GPIO_LCD_DIN, GPIO_DRIVE_CAP_0);

andrewelder

Postby andrewelder » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:10 pm

How did you observe the improved SPI performance?