ESP32-C3 WROOM Custom Board - board file?

BrianP

ESP32-C3 WROOM Custom Board - board file?

Postby BrianP » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:15 pm

Hello and thanks for the help.

I designed a custom board using ESP32-C3 WROOM. I am trying to bring up the board and can't get it recognized by the Arduino 2 IDE.

I have power and ground to the WROOM and have verified USB+ and USB- are connected and there are no shorts. ENA is high and the strapping pins are all floating.

Windows 11 recognizes the COM port as Port 7. I notice there is a Windows message essentially cycling "USB JTAG/Serial Debug Unit" (it comes up for a second or two, then there is a bing sound, it goes away for a second or two, then it comes back. Similarly when I choose something like ESP32C3 Dev Module from the board manager, and select the port, the port appears then goes away and I get a message at the bottom right of the IDE after a few seconds ESP32C3 Dev Module [not connected].

I have a few ESP32-C3 Dev Modules which I believe have been modified for USB only connection and these seem to work.

What am doing wrong?

Thanks

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-C3 WROOM Custom Board - board file?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:57 am

The C3 is probably not programmed yet, it does that then. Either see if you can put it in download mode by starting the programming process in the time it is available, or ground GPIO9 and reset the C3 to force it in download mode.

BrianP

Postby BrianP » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:37 am

Thank you! The ESP has not been programmed yet - it is factory fresh. I didn't realize that mattered.

I will give the IO9 suggestion a try and report back.

Thanks again

BrianP

Postby BrianP » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:26 pm

Connecting IO9 to ground, then resetting did the trick. I use the ESP32C3 Dev Kit board file and I can program, etc..

Thanks again!