ESP32-S3 Not seeing stack trace in Arduino IDE Serial Monitor

frankcohen

ESP32-S3 Not seeing stack trace in Arduino IDE Serial Monitor

Postby frankcohen » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:01 pm

Hi Everyone, I need tips, help, and suggestions on how to see the stack trace in the Serial Monitor after a crash. I run this sketch:

void setup() {

Serial.begin(115200);
Serial.setDebugOutput(true);
long time = millis();
while (!Serial && ( millis() < time + 5000) ); // wait up to 5 seconds for Arduino Serial Monitor
Serial.println("Hoober research");

Serial.println("Hi");

int i = 0;
Serial.println( 100/i );

Serial.print("done");

}

void loop() {
// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

Serial Monitor displays "Hi", crashes on the divide-by-zero exception, does NOT print the stack trace, and then restarts. I see "Hi" printed after each crash, but no stack trace.

My Arduino IDE settings are:
USB mode USB-OTG
USB CDC enabled
Firmware MSC disabled
DFU on boot: disabled

My board has the ESP32 connected over D- D+ to the USB port directly. I'm thinking maybe the crash takes down the USB connection?

I need tips, help, and suggestions on how to see the stack trace in the Serial Monitor

Thanks!

-Frank

frankcohen

Re: ESP32-S3 Not seeing stack trace in Arduino IDE Serial Monitor

Postby frankcohen » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:00 pm

Seems to be that the USB drivers stops upon a crash, and the traceback goes to UART0 instead of the USB CDC serial port.

The pins are like gpio pins that need a driver program to work. Micropython has a driver so it appears like there is USB hardware. Any pointers on where to find this?

I have the JTAG pins available on my custom board using GPIO 39, 40, 41, 42; However, I am not finding a compatible board definition that works with Platform.IO. I am temporarily using the Adafruit Feather ESP32 S3 No PSram board definition and it appears not to be compatible with Platform.IO.

-Frank