Help defining custom ESP32-S3 variant

banderies

Help defining custom ESP32-S3 variant

Postby banderies » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:53 am

Hello everyone,

First time posting on this forum. I've been programming ATMEGA328P boards with the Arduino IDE for the better part of a decade and am just now making the switch to ESP32. I've been digging through the documentation trying to figure out how board variants are defined in the Arduino IDE. For example, when I installed the "esp32 by Espressif" boards list, a bunch of ESP32 boards became available. I see that these definitions appear to be coming from "arduino-esp32-master/variants/". I see a few binary files, a partition CSV and some .h/.cpp files. However, I am using the ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 v1.0 with 2MB PSRAM and I do not see a definition for this board. The closest I see is the "Adafruit Feather ESP32-S3 2MB PSRAM", but I see that this board has 4MB flash, not the 8MB in my dev board. My question is, where can I learn to build one of these variant definitions for myself? Is there an existing one for the ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 v1.0? The "pin_arduino.h" file is the only one I really understand. I would like to understand what the rest of the files are doing.

Thanks,
Barrett