Now I managed to install ESP-IDF to VS-Code

GvTardy

Now I managed to install ESP-IDF to VS-Code

Postby GvTardy » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:58 pm

Hello,

I have tried to install the Espressif Extension to VSC in the past days.

My setup is somewhat special but the problems I ran in are numerous in the net, but all that reading did not get me any further.

Installing 10 to 15 times I ran into different problems...
The working hint was: install the IDF as a command line version first...

I use a virtual machine (VM-Ware) to host my operating system, in this case Windows 10.1809

Downloading and installing the ESP-IDF from the esp-getting-started pages was straight forwards.
Thereafter I tried compiling an example from command line. it worked fine.

What I did not notice, that there were some errors listed then opening the CMD-Terminal (gets added when installing ESP-IDF(.
==> RESOLVE those errors, the VSC-Espressive-Installation will not work with these errors, even if you can compile from the command line!

Now install VSC, add the Esperessiv Extension.
Close VSC and reopen (has been a good idea in the past, sometime the "reload" button is not present when needed)
Click on the Espressive symbol on the left side (below extensions)
The Espressive Setup-Page opens...
... I chose "advanced setup" -> find existing ESP-Installation

Having resolved all errors listed in the command line (and called install.bat, also listed), everything is working fine.

What did I learn from this: get the command line version fully and flawless working first, the step to VSC. Otherwise you might be lost.

I even got a dubious ownership error from python, that I set to be ignored. (What to do was listed with the hint to the problem.) It would be a whole lot easier if all problems were listed in a summary at the end of the installing process.

I don't know if it is me, but I has been a nightmare setting VSC and Espressive up.

Hope this helps someone.
Please drop a line if it did.

Greetings
Georg

username

Re: Now I managed to install ESP-IDF to VS-Code

Postby username » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:06 am

Strange to hear you had all those problems.
I have found using the Esperessif Extension to be problematic if say you have other Extensions installed say PlatformIO.
What I have done was use VSC portable. Then when I install the Esperessif Extension it goes smoothly.