ESPNOW messages being dropped

koshin

ESPNOW messages being dropped

Postby koshin » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:48 am

I have 13 ESP32-C3 devices in a room sending messages at a rate of up to 10 messages per device per second. All the devices are within wifi range of each other, and all the messages are sent as single-packet ESP-NOW transmissions. Each message is sent on the same wifi channel, and all messages are broadcast to everyone. There are no other wifi devices in the vicinity.

It seems, though I have not confirmed, that a significant fraction of ESPNOW messages are being dropped (20%?). How likely is it that I would see significant packet drop on the ESPNOW protocol at ~130 messages per second?

Is it more likely to be a transmission queuing problem on the sending side, or a receive queuing problem on the receiving side, or interference between simultaneous transmissions?

(I am coding in C using ESP-IDF 5.1. I am working with the ESP32-C3-DevKit2 board.)

ESP_Penguin_Helper

Re: ESPNOW messages being dropped

Postby ESP_Penguin_Helper » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:37 am

Hi, the most likely cause of your packet loss is the degree of channel congestion. You may consider assigning different channels to your devices.

We tested the round-trip delay time and packet loss rate during the testing of both unicast and broadcast packet transmission by the subdevices. You can use this result as a reference.
Attachments
ESP_NOW_Report.png
ESP_NOW_Report.png (127.14 KiB) Viewed 794 times