v5.1 Monitor freezes with input

heliochronix

v5.1 Monitor freezes with input

Postby heliochronix » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:59 pm

Hello all,

I seem to be having an issue with the IDF v5.1 monitor where anytime I try to input text it seems to freeze up the monitor. I end up having to kill the python process directly to be able to get my terminal back. Has anyone experienced this?

This is an Arch system running kernel 6.4.3. The monitor outputs from the device (an ESP32-H2 in this case) just fine.

During the "Hello World" example program, if I hit a key while it is printing out the "Resetting in X..." lines the output will freeze and nothing further will print out for a few seconds.

However, attempting to run a console program results in the console prompt on the monitor, but any text entry causes it to freeze up (with no characters echoed). I can't even exit with CTRL-] at this point and I have to kill the python program directly.

Is there some way I can troubleshoot this further? I am quite new to ESP32, so apologies if I've missed some common troubleshooting steps.
Last edited by heliochronix on Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ESP_Sprite

Re: v5.1 Monitor freezes with input

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:19 am

That is known behaviour. In the example app, nothing is listening on the serial port, meaning that any characters 'queue up' for the ESP32 to read, which stalls serial communication. The solution would be to either read from the serial port, or simply not press any characters in the terminal.

ESP_Roland

Postby ESP_Roland » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:41 am

heliochronix

Postby heliochronix » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:17 pm

Ah okay, the temporary freezing with non-console apps makes sense in that case. However, the bigger issue remains which is the (near) complete freezing of the monitor with a console app that does expect input.