STAAP example

sergiomarina

STAAP example

Postby sergiomarina » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:58 am

I have searched the website with key STAAP and it resulted 0 occurrences. Apologies if I made it wrongly.
With a single ESP32 I could create both AP and STA netif entities.
The AP has its own subnet and assigns IP address to new associated stations.
The STA can obtain the IP address from an external access point.
So far this is the status.
Then I tried to bridge packets from stations associated to AP towards the external access point via the STA.
The test failed.
I'm wondering if ESP32 can support a similar architecture (backhaul traffic gathered by AP through STA). In that case I would like to know if a sample template is available somewhere.
In a simplified solution the AP could not include the DHCP server since it just forwards the DHCP packets to the access point. The STA has to acquire an IP address so to implement a web server. This solution implies the STAAP is steadily connected or disconnected to the access point. In the latter case the AP should implement a default standalone IP subnet assigning its own IP addresses to associated stations (ESP32-STA or 'web client stations')
Thank you.

felmue

Re: STAAP example

Postby felmue » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:51 pm

Hello @sergiomarina

I think the esp-iot-bridge project is what you are looking for.

https://github.com/espressif/esp-iot-bridge

Thanks
Felix

sergiomarina

Re: STAAP example

Postby sergiomarina » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:59 pm

Hello Felix,
thank you for the hint! The project "esp-iot-bridge" applies indeed!!!
The project "esp-iot-bridge" is so flexible that could be segmented in a dozen of simpler projects.
For my pj I need the "Wi-Fi Router" (as per solution's definitions in the Overview's chapter table https://github.com/espressif/esp-iot-br ... /README.md) and the web server app to customize by adding pj's peculiar functionalities.
Unfortunately flexibility means complexity.
So I would need to get trained, to manage such a complexity.
For sure I think several Youtube "get started" video are just prefect.
As an example, the "menuconfig -> LWIP" provides several options to play with. One of those is "Enable IP forwarding". Should I manage that section as well?
I imagine it could be possible to find at least a video for every different combination of interfaces.
As a matter of fact I couldn't find a tutorial and/or a Youtube video dedicated to "esp-iot-bridge" project.
Does anyone have more info in this direction?
Thank you