BUG: Provide makefile-based pythonless C/C++ development environment

ESP_Sprite

Re: BUG: Provide makefile-based pythonless C/C++ development environment

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue May 28, 2024 8:10 am

powerbroker wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 5:26 am
well... disassembling some fridge thermostat i see PIC in it. in universal battery charger "imax b6" - AVR or even MCS51. in some powerful UPS - PIC again. in receipt printer with fiscal device - NEC850 + AVR. in cash register - STM32. in laser printer - NXP LPC. in intercom and access control system - PICs and AVRs. in electric scooter - STM8 and STM32. in power meter - PIC. in JTAG adapter - STM32 or LPC...
Obviously you're going to find those there; that's simply a case of 'right tool for the right job'. An battery charger doesn't need a 240MHz 32-bit CPU; for a laserprinter a maximum of 16MiB of PSRAM is going to be too little, and none of these things have a requirement to be WiFi/BLE enabled. Even if the ESP32 SDK was so good that you wouldn't need to spend any time to develop your firmware, you still wouldn't find Espressif chips in those devices. For someone who is so keen on calling out 'software bloat', it's kinda strange you don't see the same thing in hardware.
(Also, the ESP32 is fairly new, all things considering. AVRs, PICs, STM32s etc are at least two decades out by now.)
you know where i saw ESP32? inside a "smart-ass" electrical outlet - with only feature: enable/disable remotely! no timer, no power measurements, no overload protection - nothing, just on and off from android app.
I suggest you buy better quality electric outlets then. There's some real nice ones out there; a quick Google turned up this for instance. (Note that I/Espressif does not suggest you buy this; this is an example of what's on the market, do your own research, etc.) As with anything, tech can be used to make awesome and shitty things, and I don't think the SDK has much to do with that, be it good or bad.

Anyway, I'm not going to discuss this further. You have your answer: no, Python in ESP-IDF is far from a bug and it's not going away, no matter how often you use funny nicknames for it. If that's gonna bring the company down because of software bloat and some customers hating it for that, then so be it.

powerbroker

Re: BUG: Provide makefile-based pythonless C/C++ development environment

Postby powerbroker » Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:15 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 8:10 am
powerbroker wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 5:26 am
well... disassembling some fridge thermostat i see PIC in it. in universal battery charger "imax b6" - AVR or even MCS51. in some powerful UPS - PIC again. in receipt printer with fiscal device - NEC850 + AVR. in cash register - STM32. in laser printer - NXP LPC. in intercom and access control system - PICs and AVRs. in electric scooter - STM8 and STM32. in power meter - PIC. in JTAG adapter - STM32 or LPC...
Obviously you're going to find those there; that's simply a case of 'right tool for the right job'. An battery charger doesn't need a 240MHz 32-bit CPU; for a laserprinter a maximum of 16MiB of PSRAM is going to be too little, and none of these things have a requirement to be WiFi/BLE enabled. Even if the ESP32 SDK was so good that you wouldn't need to spend any time to develop your firmware, you still wouldn't find Espressif chips in those devices. For someone who is so keen on calling out 'software bloat', it's kinda strange you don't see the same thing in hardware.
(Also, the ESP32 is fairly new, all things considering. AVRs, PICs, STM32s etc are at least two decades out by now.)
dear friend, you'd better catch the idea: even it's more powerful AND cheaper, it is not used there. well, fairly new... well, okay. let us see the things going on further.
ESP_Sprite wrote:
you know where i saw ESP32? inside a "smart-ass" electrical outlet - with only feature: enable/disable remotely! no timer, no power measurements, no overload protection - nothing, just on and off from android app.
I suggest you buy better quality electric outlets then. There's some real nice ones out there; a quick Google turned up this for instance. (Note that I/Espressif does not suggest you buy this; this is an example of what's on the market, do your own research, etc.) As with anything, tech can be used to make awesome and shitty things, and I don't think the SDK has much to do with that, be it good or bad.
it's not the story about electrical outlets quality, no. it's a story about "they use it in the place and for purposes, where some simplest and tattered cheapest 4-bit MCU is absolutely good enough".
and BTW this story has a great title: "Your customer's migration issues and how you solve them"
ESP_Sprite wrote:
Anyway, I'm not going to discuss this further. You have your answer: no, Python in ESP-IDF is far from a bug and it's not going away, no matter how often you use funny nicknames for it. If that's gonna bring the company down because of software bloat and some customers hating it for that, then so be it.
anyway, at the end of all It’s better to have reason to say in good conscience, “We foresaw this and did everything to avoid it,” than to hear “Well, dude, you were warned... years ago...” ;))

p.s. AFAIK, some gooooooogle-level company fired allmost ALL the poothon programmers several weeks ago. if you're going to give them food and shelter, that's certainly a good thing.
but for the love of God, don't let them near any computers or MCUs :D