Windows tools installer

theycallmevirgo

Windows tools installer

Postby theycallmevirgo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:44 am

I downloaded the offline installer, it failed with code 1. The online installer "succeeded" but post install size is <1gb whereas the offline installer is 1.6gb. Did something go wrong?

Thanks

Joe

rudi ;-)

Re: Windows tools installer

Postby rudi ;-) » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:42 am

theycallmevirgo wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:44 am
I downloaded the offline installer, it failed with code 1. The online installer "succeeded" but post install size is <1gb whereas the offline installer is 1.6gb. Did something go wrong?

Thanks

Joe
Hi Joe
i used yesterday the offline installer last release r for windows 10 64Bit and it was successfully installed. I used this for 4.3.1

Which Version you used for which OS ?

best wishes
rudi ;-)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

theycallmevirgo

Postby theycallmevirgo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:42 pm

I'm on Win10 Enterprise 21H1. The (first) offline installer link is the one I originally used. But if the latest version is 4.3.1 why is the "offline installer" named 2.10? Is that simply the "installer version" as opposed to what ends up being installed?

And, again, why is the zip file link you posted smaller than the "offline installer"?

More to the point: how do I verify install? Is it sufficient to build hello world or do I need to flash a chip with it?

theycallmevirgo

Postby theycallmevirgo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:45 pm

And the post install "tools" (named .espressif) folder size is ~4gb. I think it would be nice to have a better understanding of wtf is going on.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:08 am

theycallmevirgo wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:42 pm
But if the latest version is 4.3.1 why is the "offline installer" named 2.10?
Is that simply the "installer version" as opposed to what ends up being installed?

And, again, why is the zip file link you posted smaller than the "offline installer"?

More to the point: how do I verify install? Is it sufficient to build hello world or do I need to flash a chip with it?
Hi Joe

ESP-IDF is the framework.
The (offline) installer conveniently includes everything -
the versioned framework with all recursive external libraries,
the complete tools including all imaginable packages that will be needed on the target host (Python ... cmake ..)
and also the Xtensa, RiscV, ..Toolchain (s) for every imaginable SoC (ESP32, ESP32S2, ESP32S3, ESP32C3)
so that's over 1.6 GB.
The (offline) installer is also suitable if you have not yet installed any toolchains.

In contrast:
The last released Framework 4.3.1 zip file from the release is smaller because it only contains the framework but no toolchain (s).
There is only the newer framework. If you have already installed the tools and toolchains, you usually only need the new framework.
If you have downloaded the framework, the install tool checks what you call, whether the required tools and toolchains are installed, if not, it tries to download and install it. But if the toolchain is available, then only the framework is installed. If a newer released Framework need newer toolchain then the install process for Framwork try to download and install then the newer toolchain.

You can see it here, there are the individual toolchains and tools for all ESP Variants and Taret OS - that are already included with the offline installer for Windows systems.
These "sources" are zipped onto your host and then installed from there.
So you have the associated versioned tools as a backup too.

Toolchains are verify example here see in the file - there are sha256 and size for each toolchain and target.

You need the ESP-IDF Framework + Tools in it for build your Hello World for the target ESP ( ESP32...ESP32C3...ESP32S...)
You need the Toolchain for cross compile on your Host for the Target.
You need Flash tools for flash your ESP with your firmware which you build.
You can use alternate Flash tools from espressif support tools like the Flash Downloader for Windows PC

Further infos
Info SDK & Libs
Info - IDF -

hope this helps.
best wishes
rudi ;-)

edit: typos..
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪