ESP32S3Wroom 1 : How to use the USB JTAG port in order to send command to the Wroom module ?

ThomasESP32

ESP32S3Wroom 1 : How to use the USB JTAG port in order to send command to the Wroom module ?

Postby ThomasESP32 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:13 pm

Good afternoon,

I have a question concerning the USB/JTAG connector which is on the Esp32S3-DevKit-C-1 board.

At the moment, I manage to use the UART connector of the board in order to send command to the Wroom module
from the outside using an RS232 terminal.

For that, the UART port is configured using the methods :
- Err = uart_driver_install(UART_PROD_PORT_NUM, UART_PROD_BUFFER_SIZE * 2, 0, 0, NULL, intr_alloc_flags);
- Err = uart_param_config(UART_PROD_PORT_NUM, &uart_config);
- Err = uart_set_pin(UART_PROD_PORT_NUM, UART_PROD_TX_PIN, UART_PROD_RX_PIN, UART_PROD_UNUSED_PIN, UART_PROD_UNUSED_PIN);
This enables me to open an RS232 terminal and to write some commands to the board.
Moreover, I can receive these commands in my firmware and parse them in order to execute some actions.

I would like to know if it is possible to do the same thing using the USB/JTAG connector of the board.
I am using this connector in order to program the Wroom module, I can see that the USB port is visible from the outside
(For example an RS232 terminal). But I don't know if it is possible to write commands in the RS232 Terminal
in order to send them to the Wroom module ??? If it is possible, how to get/read these commands in my firmware please ?
Is there a specific configuration or something I have to do ???

Thank you for your help,
this is very important for my application,

best regards,

Thomas TRUILHE

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32S3Wroom 1 : How to use the USB JTAG port in order to send command to the Wroom module ?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:35 am

USB-serial-JTAG is not an UART and has its own driver. See here for the API.

ThomasESP32

Re: ESP32S3Wroom 1 : How to use the USB JTAG port in order to send command to the Wroom module ?

Postby ThomasESP32 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:43 am

Good morning,

thank you for your answer.
I still have a problem please. It seams that I cannot execute the methods :

1 - usb_serial_jtag_driver_install(&usb_serial_jtag_config);
2 - uart_driver_install(UART_PROD_PORT_NUM, UART_PROD_BUFFER_SIZE * 2, 0, 0, NULL, intr_alloc_flags);

together in my application.
If I do not execute the uart_driver_install method, I have no error during program execution.
However, when I execute the uart_driver_install method, I get the following error at runtime :
Err = uart_driver_install(UART_PROD_PORT_NUM, UART_PROD_BUFFER_SIZE * 2, 0, 0, NULL, intr_alloc_flags);

i2c: i2c_driver_install(378): i2c interrupt allocation error

Do you have any idea about what can happen please ?

Best regards,

Thomas TRUILHE

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:56 am

You're likely running out of allocatable interrupts. You could try allocating some interrupts as shared.