[SOLVED] Difference between Espressif IDE and Visual Studio Code?

filo_gr

[SOLVED] Difference between Espressif IDE and Visual Studio Code?

Postby filo_gr » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:41 am

Hi! :)

I'd like to understand what is the main differences (if any) between Espressif IDE and Visual Studio Code + ESP-IDF extension.

I started working with ESP-IDF through Visual Studio Code, however I also installed Espressif IDE and I don't know how to start using it.

At first glance it seems to be quite similar, however inside Espressif IDE I don't see the JSON files that are used in VS Code to set up the environment and also the debugger, qemu, docker, etc...

Any idea about the comparison?
Last edited by filo_gr on Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Filippo

mbratch

Re: Difference between Espressif IDE and Visual Studio Code?

Postby mbratch » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:35 pm

The ESP-IDF IDE is basically an Eclipse IDE. Eclipse and VS Code are quite different to each other. Specifically, for example, it doesn't use the same JSON files that VS Code uses. For configuration, there are settings menus in the IDE.

If you have a more specific configuration question about an IDE, I'd recommend asking it in the IDEs for ESP-IDF area.

filo_gr

Postby filo_gr » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:10 am

So Eclipse IDE has limitations i.e. the use of extensions which are permitted in VS Code and the use of debugging tools. Is it right?
Filippo

mbratch

Postby mbratch » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:56 am

filo_gr wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:10 am
So Eclipse IDE has limitations i.e. the use of extensions which are permitted in VS Code and the use of debugging tools. Is it right?
VS Code and Eclipse are two different IDEs. They each have their own set of developed extensions. The Eclipse extensions don't work in VS Code and vice versa. Both Eclipse and VS Code have a debugging interface as well.

filo_gr

Postby filo_gr » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:00 am

mbratch wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:56 am
VS Code and Eclipse are two different IDEs. They each have their own set of developed extensions. The Eclipse extensions don't work in VS Code and vice versa. Both Eclipse and VS Code have a debugging interface as well.
Good to know! Is there any tutorial about how to start using Espressif IDE?
Filippo

mbratch

Postby mbratch » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:45 pm

There's the installation instructions on the Espressif ESP IDE github. I'm not aware of any additional tutorial. I think a basic Eclipse tutorial you might find online would partially help.

filo_gr

Postby filo_gr » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:08 am

mbratch wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:45 pm
There's the installation instructions on the Espressif ESP IDE github. I'm not aware of any additional tutorial. I think a basic Eclipse tutorial you might find online would partially help.
Thank you, very appreciated :D
Filippo

lladam

Re: [SOLVED] Difference between Espressif IDE and Visual Studio Code?

Postby lladam » Wed May 22, 2024 2:29 pm

Is that a good start to work with Visual Studio Code + ESP-IDF extension for beginner?

filo_gr

Re: [SOLVED] Difference between Espressif IDE and Visual Studio Code?

Postby filo_gr » Wed May 22, 2024 2:40 pm

lladam wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:29 pm
Is that a good start to work with Visual Studio Code + ESP-IDF extension for beginner?
I tested both visual studio code and eclipse. I prefer Visual Studio Code but there are some configurations a bit boring to make. After that I think there are less bugs on VS Code
Filippo