Plans for experimental_cpp_component?

gtjoseph

Plans for experimental_cpp_component?

Postby gtjoseph » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:26 pm

Are there any plans to make experimental_cpp_component a "real" component by moving it into the top-level IDF_PATH/components directory? I know we can add the existing directory to a project with EXTRA_COMPONENT_DIRS but it would be nice to have it official. In the mean time, how about adding it to the components.espressif.com registry?

gtjoseph

Which to use, experimental_cpp_component or esp-idf-cxx?

Postby gtjoseph » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:08 pm

I posted my original question about a year ago but never got a response. Since then, esp-idf-cxx was added as a standalone component but it appears to be a bit behind experimental_cpp_component. Should we start using esp-idf-cxx and can we count on it being maintained?

ESP_jakob

Re: Plans for experimental_cpp_component?

Postby ESP_jakob » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:18 am

Hi gtjoseph!

Sorry for missing your post here. Yes, you should start using the esp-idf-cxx component. Actually, it shouldn't be behind the experimental_cpp_component. I will check the content is the same later. ESPEventHandlerSync has been removed because it had a design flaw that cannot be fixed without changes in the underlying esp_event component, which is not a plan or priority right now.

Eventually, we will remove the experimental_cpp_component from IDF.
Please feel free to give feedback on the esp-idf-cxx component by creating issues there or continue posting here.

Best,
Jakob

ESP_jakob

Postby ESP_jakob » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:03 am

I just checked again and in fact the experimental_cpp_component in IDF is lacking a bit behind the actual esp-idf-cxx component. As already mentioned, the experimental_cpp_component is due for removal, please use esp-idf-cxx https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf-cxx instead.

Best,
Jakob

gtjoseph

Postby gtjoseph » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:30 pm

Thanks Jakob. I may have had my 'git diff' backwards. :)
The only issue right now is that esp_mqtt_cxx is built against experimental_cpp_component but I copied it out to a separate component and changed it to use esp-idf-cxx. It compiles fine but haven't had a chance to test it yet.