ESP32 - Unable to get GPIO15 strapping pin to turn off ROM messages

MikeMyhre

ESP32 - Unable to get GPIO15 strapping pin to turn off ROM messages

Postby MikeMyhre » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:43 pm

I have a pull up resistor on GPIO15 (pin 23 of the ESP32-WROOM-32E module) and I hold it to ground while powerup/booting and the ROM messages and ESP_LOGI messages still print. When I read the strapping register it returns 0x37. Not sure what the bit map is for that register but it doesn't change when I ground GPIO15 or let it be pulled high.
My board design uses GPIO1 and GPIO3 for uart functions and I can't have it printing to that port. I could reassign UART0 to another pin, disable it or silence the ROM messages. I only need one UART for my design. I shared the GPIO3/GPIO1 TX0/RX0 pins because I don't have any pins left and I need it for loading flash.
Does anyone have any ideas why it isn't recognizing the strapping pin status?

MikeMyhre

Re: ESP32 - Unable to get GPIO15 strapping pin to turn off ROM messages

Postby MikeMyhre » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:38 pm

I am not sure what changed, but now I get 0x35 from strapping pins when I short the GPIO15 pin. The messages keep showing up though and I think it may be confusion in what I was expecting. I thought that this pin would stop all debugging messages including the ones I created. I thought it would turn off the stdout stream.
Calling the esp_log_level_set("*", ESP_LOG_ERROR); removes the ESP_LOGx messages, but not the printf output.
So I guess my real question is how to turn off or redirect stdout/stdin.

boarchuz

Postby boarchuz » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:10 pm

In menuconfig, change "Channel for console output" (ESP_CONSOLE_UART) to custom or none.

MikeMyhre

Postby MikeMyhre » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:36 pm

boarchuz wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:10 pm
In menuconfig, change "Channel for console output" (ESP_CONSOLE_UART) to custom or none.
Thank you. I thought that was different than debug messages.

Thanks!