ESP32-S3-PICO-1 Issues

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-S3-PICO-1 Issues

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:14 pm

I'm getting a little bit of a flashback here... someone posted an issue like this earlier, and it turned out they confused the ESD diode package they got... something like using an USBLC-4SC6 instead of a USBLC-2P6. Just in case, can you measure if that SOT6 package indeed has a direct connection between 1&6 and 3&4?

second.string

Postby second.string » Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:21 pm

Sorry, didn't get a notification for the reply.

I also had a thought about the TVS doing funky things, or maybe just being soldered 180 degrees. Unfortunately there is normal continuity between the expected pin pairings. I also pulled it off of the board and checked the ESP D+/D- lines again to see if the weak pullup was there but both lines were still the same.

I'm going to assemble a third board tomorrow paying special attention to the stencilling and reflow of the ESP32. Hopefully it's just been an unlucky coincidence for the first two assemblies, but I want to start fresh. I'll update here with more debugging info.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:16 am

Hm, then I'm running out of things to test. Hope the 3rd board is the charm and the other two were just flukes.

second.string

Postby second.string » Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:54 pm

Well good news and bad news I guess.

The good news is that I assembled a 3rd board today and really took care on the stencil/placement, and also verified all connections under a microscope afterwards, and everything works as expected on bringup. The ESP enumerates as a standard serial port over USB, and when I open a `screen` to it I can see the streaming output of "invalid header" for an empty flash.

The bad news is I wasted two boards and ESPs getting to this point :( .

Sorry for the false alarm, thanks for the debugging tips!

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:57 am

No worries, shit like that happens. Glad you at least managed to resolve it.

llzzdd

Postby llzzdd » Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:46 am

second.string wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:01 pm
I'm having this exact same issue, and unfortunately my main IC pad is already confirmed connected to ground. I know the chip is running properly because I can flash both a bootloader and bootloader+basic application firmware over UART. All voltages look good, except I don't see any output on VDD_SPI (aka 0V). I left it floating, from what I can tell from the datasheet it will act as an output for external flash if necessary, set to 1V8 or 3V3 depending on the strapping pin configuration.

Everything with the ESP32 is running just fine except for the USB. There's nothing that happens when I plug it in. On mac, there is zero change under the USB tab in the System Information application, and there's no new serial port enumerated in `/dev/cu.usbserial-****` or `/dev/tty***`. On Windows, there is also nothing that appears in Device Info or when running `mode` in cmd.exe to see a list of COM ports.

Because the rest of the ESP is running just fine, this feels like a configuration issue somehow. I've used the WROOM package of the S3 before, and have successfully set it up to flash/log over USB. I can't remember if I had to do anything special there to get that working though.

Any thoughts on this? Happy to share my schematic and/or layout but it's basically the exact same as the one shared previously with respect to the USB pins.
hi,bro
I have encountered the same problem as you,use ESP32-S3-PICO-1 ,,,,"All voltages look good, except I don't see any output on VDD_SPI (aka 0V)." ,,,May I ask if your issue has been resolved?

https://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41922